Monday, June 22, 2015

Camera Shakiness

I recently saw Dil Dhadakne Do and like so many recent Hollywood movies, noticed a lot of camera shake. I am writing this blog entry to oppose this trend. I do not like so much camera shake.

Many argue that it gives a realistic feeling to the movie. Now that makes sense for scenes where one of the participants in the movie is holding a camera and we are supposed to be seeing footage as seen by that camera. This is true for the movie Cloverfield. Even in that movie I would have preferred some proper stable camera footage. But now, just too many movies are shooting that way.

I want to point out an important point here. If I was physically present during a particular scene in a movie, even then I would not see such shake. My eye balls compensate for my walking, jogging and even sprinting motions and my brain does the rest of the work creating a really stable image of the surroundings in my mind. Therefore, the realistic feeling that these guys want to create is actually misleading. The only way such shakiness can be seen physically was if someone (carelessly) records the ongoing activity on a handycam and then I watch it on a screen. And that someone is so poor at doing his job, that most marriage video-photographers will outperform them (this is intended to belittle the cameramen who feel such shakiness is cool).

The most annoying part is when there is shakiness in a scene where two people are talking in private. It is completely useless and ends up making me tired through all the visual upheaval that my eyes have to endure. There is so much camera shake and movement these days, that I hardly see the faces of the main characters on the screen. I hate this trend. It does not make the movie cool - not even a Superman movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment